Wow! Happy New Year everyone! What a year it's been. Thank you all for your continued support.
I have had some truly amazing and magical meals and bites in 2012. I've been an eating fiend. A vacuum of all things edible. Here are a few of my highlights.
NYC FOODIE TOP 5 RESTAURANTS TO OPEN IN 2012
1. Perla: Owner Gabe Stulman and Chef Michael Toscano have created a laid back and cool Italian gem, with amazing fare. I found myself at Perla often this year, eating most of the menu. A truly great restaurant.
2. Empellon Cocina: Chef Alex Stupak is a genius. His take on Mexican cuisine is unlike anything I have encountered. Go there. Please.
3. Atera: You don't go to Atera for dinner. You go for a truly magical experience. Chef Matthew Lightner is a culinary wizard. His dishes are earthy and playful. Unique and whimsical.
4. La Vara: Spanish tapas done right in Cobble Hill. Chef Alex Raij has the magic touch.
5. Calliope: Luckily, I finally made it to Calliope just last week, and it was outstanding. Get whisked away to France, brasserie style, in the East Village.
NYC FOODIE LUNCH SPOT OF THE YEAR
Parm: I found myself at Parm for lunch many weeks in 2012. I love everything about this place, from food to vibe.
NYC FOODIE SANDWICH OF THE YEAR
IL BUCO ALIMENTARI'S PORCHETTA SANDWICH: Um, this is the best porchetta sandwich in the World. Period. Try it for yourself. Trust me. You'll thank me later.
NYC FOODIE BURGER OF THE YEAR
Allswell and The Brindle Room
NYC FOODIE THAI RESTAURANT OF THE YEAR
AYADA THAI: While everyone was waiting on line to get into Pok Pok over in Brooklyn, I was smart enough to head to Woodside, Queens to dine one authentic and awesome Thai. Pok Pok is definitely great, but Ayada is the real deal.
NYC FOODIE BITE OF THE YEAR
Redfarm's Chicken and Truffle soup dumpling. Ok, I had thousands of amazing and magical bites, to be honest. But, this recent bite still lingers in my mind.
NYC FOODIE SURPISINGLY AWESOME RESTAURANT
Colicchio & Sons: I had no idea, but the dining room at Colicchio & Sons needs to be talked about more. From an amazing space, fantastic service, and sensational fare, this is truly one of NYC's great restaurants.
NYC FOODIE MEAL OF THE YEAR
Honestly, I had so many amazing and magical meals this year I cannot pick just one. Some highlights were:
1. My birthday dinner at Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare. This spot is amazing. It's basically like an omakase at a sushi restaurant (every dish was seafood but one). It's a magical place. (I really should have gotten at least a handjob after this meal from my date, but got nothing! WTF!)
2. Eleven Madison Park: A going away meal for my sister and her husband here, was truly magical. From the service to the food. I sent these guys to San Francisco with one of the most memorable dining experiences of our lives.
3. All of Chinatown: Chinatown in NYC is a whole other world. It's a world that has the best bangs for your buck in town, and y'all need to head down there. From noodles at Tasty Hand-Pulled Noodles, to terrific Malaysian at New Malaysia Restaurant, to the pork and crabmeat soup dumplings at 456 Shanghai Cuisine, to the Vietnamese at Pho Grand, to the dim sum at Ping's Seafood, to the pork bao at Mei Li Wah Bakery, just to name a few of many gems. Head down to Chinatown, and discover a culinary world like no other. I'd be happy to be your guide.
So there you have it. Just a few of many, many highlights of 2012. Expect bigger and better stuff in 2013. I guarantee a truly magical year.
The Foodie Magician