Wow! What an amazing culinary year it has been for the NYC FOODIE! I have had some amazing meals, some amazing dishes, and just a few disappointments. The NYC restaurant scene has had some unbelievable new openings, plenty of closings, and some old favorites still kicking strong.
I would have to say that 2008 has been the year of the "Bar". Wine bars, ramen noodle bars, gastropubs, and cocktail dens, have been popping up all over NYC. As someone who loves great drinks as well as great food, this has thus been a very good year for the NYC FOODIE!
Thanks to everyone who has stopped by my site. Looking ahead to 2009 be prepared to see videos and most likely the NYC FOODIE on TV!
I wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR! And with that, let's take a look at my favorites of 2008.
Top 5 Best Meals of 2008
1. Every meal I had at Momofuku Ssam Bar. This is my favorite restaurant in NYC, and my mind is blown every time I eat here! The flavors and textures of each dish are phenomenal! (I'm still dying to go to Momofuku Ko!)
2. Omakase at Sushi of Gari. I've had the Omakase (10 pieces of sushi-chef's choice for $55) at Sushi of Gari (there are 3 in NYC) a few times this year and every time the sushi is sublime and outstanding!
3. The Little Owl. I revisited The Little Owl this year after a 2-year hiatus and it has not missed a beat! It is one of the best all round restaurants in NYC.
4. Tasting Menu at Le Cirque. There are many old school restaurants I have not been to, but luckily I was able to have a tasting menu (along with my younger sister) at Le Cirque this year, and it was great!
5. Tasting Menu at San Domenico. San Domenico is another old school top restaurant I got to dine at this year, (again, with my younger sister-what a lucky gal!) and had the honor of having their tasting menu. It was a fantastic meal. They are relocating to Madison Square Park and I look forward to dining in their new space next year!
Top 5 Dishes of 2008
1. Spicy Pork Sausage and Rice Cakes with chinese brocoli and crispy shallots from Momofuku Ssam Bar. The epitome of the dishes here, with amazing flavors and textures!
2. Scrambled Eggs topped with caviar from Le Cirque. The best scrambled eggs I've ever had!
3. Roasted Free Range Chicken with swiss chard, dumplings, white pearls, wild mushrooms and bacon from Dressler (in Brooklyn). This is the best chicken dish I've ever had. I'm not one who orders chicken at restaurants usually, but this dish still lingers in my mind!
4. Gravy Meatball Sliders with beef, pork, veal, and pecorino from The Little Owl. Orgasmic is all I need to say!
5. Fried Chicken "Blue Ribbon Style" with wasabi and honey from Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar and Grill. This was some great fried chicken with a kick!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!