WOW! What a year 2013 has been. Beyond Magical. From so many amazing meals and bites, to Today Show and Cooking Channel appearances, the Foodie Magician has had quite the year. Here were some of my highlights:
NYC FOODIE TOP NEW RESTAURANTS OF 2013
10. Costata and ABC Cocina - Michael White's steakhouse with amazing crudo and pastas won me over. I loved every bite. Jean-Georges and Dan Kluger tickled my buds with their riff on Latin fare. Me Gusta.
9. Oda House and Haile - These two ethnic East Village joints should have been talked about more. Oda House's Georgian cuisine was homey and wonderful. Haile's Ethiopian delights made me love Ethiopian food again. Both will expand your culinary horizons. Go.
8. Han Dynasty - Szechuan cuisine done right. Fun times. Great for groups. Delicious dumplings and dan dan noodles, etc. Yes, please.
7. Piora - Chris Cipollone's new home in the West Village is showcasing his awesome talents. Great spot.
6. Pearl and Ash - Chef Richard Kuo's small plates Bowery gem is serving unique bites and great wine. Industry insiders love this place..as do I.
5. Betony - Bryce Shulman's 57th Street restaurant is pure awesome. Top notch service and food, a truly great restaurant.
4. ZZ's Clam Bar - ZZ's Clam Bar is not cheap, and in fact, extremely expensive. It's extremely small too..so getting a seat is tough. That being said, it's the place where multiple dishes made me cry with joy. The food here is unbelievable and something to talk about.
3. Carbone - Mario Carbone and Rich Torrisi's throwback to the 50's killed it. I am blown away every meal I have at Carbone. From the best rigatoni vodka and best tortellini I've ever had, to the the best side I've had in my life. Carbone is fabulous.
2. Estela - Ignacio Mattos' small plates joint on Houston St. is absolutely wonderful. Every dish on the menu is superb. This place is amazing and you need to go.
1. Sushi Dojo - the restaurant I found myself going back the most to in 2013 was Sushi Dojo. As a sushi addict, I know my sushi. And chef David Boudhadana's $45 omakase won me over, and then some. Straight up pure fresh fish, gets me every time. Low key digs in the East Village, it's my new home away from home. While everyone is trying to get into the great Sushi Nakazawa, Sushi Dojo's price point, makes it a much better bang for your buck.
NYC FOODIE TOP 5 DISHES OF 2013
5. Toro's Erizos con Caviar- a spoon of sea urchin, caviar, quail egg, and Iberico ham. Fucking Awesome.
4. Sakamai's egg on egg on egg- daddy sure loves his sea urchin. sea urchin, sturgeon caviar, bed of scrambled eggs. Yes, please. Orgasmic.
3. ZZ's Clam Bar's seared live scallop, Sicilian pistachios, and brown butter. Jaw-dropping and Magical.
2. Carbone's Squash Agrodulce - acorn squash, marscapone, agrodolce butter, toasted spiced pumpling seeds, could be the best side I've ever had.
1. ZZ's Clam Bar's Trout Roe Toast. I really had tons and tons of amazing bites this year, but this trout roe toast; homemade semolina toast, with trout roe, shaved black truffle, and honey oil, gave me the most tears of joy. I cried, I ogasmed, it was heaven.
NYC FOODIE BURGER OF 2013
Fritzl's Lunch Box- this gem of a joint in Bushwick, Brooklyn served me the best burger this year. 70% beef cheek, 30% chuck, 100% awesome.
NYC FOODIE SANDWICH OF 2013
IL BUCO ALIMENTARI'S SHORT RIB SANDWICH - il buco alimentari is one of my favorite NYC restaurants. From the best porchetta sandwich in the World, to amazing pastas and salads, I just love this place. The short rib entree at dinner is the best in the World too. And for lunch, the short rib sandwich with gorgonzola and onion agrodolce is simply sensational and magical. Get it!
NYC FOODIE SALAD OF 2013
Redfarm's diced tuna with crispy noodles. Another favorite NYC restaurant of mine, Redfarm blew me away at their new UWS location with this refreshing and fantastic salad. Truly Wonderful.
This truly has been beyond a magical year. These were just a few of so many highlights. I'm looking forward to an even more amazing 2014. Please do not hesitate to email me with any restaurant suggestions you made need. Don't forget to follow me on instagram- @foodiemagician, or on twitter @joshbeckerman..in fact to see my year of dining in pictures just check out http://instagram.com/foodiemagician. Have an amazing and magical holiday season and New Year! See y'all in 2014!
The Foodie Magician